22.11.09

Counting My Blessings

Hola Chicos y Chicas!


Wow, updating the blog per week has been nice as it allows me to reflect on my week but not as easy as I thought it would be. I picked up more classes along with some additional ones for this week so I’ve been busy lesson planning this lovely Sunday but wanted to take a break and blog it up a bit.


Okay, quick recaps…


So this week was pretty crazy. Teaching was good – nothing too funny or radical. I did teach my beginner students “See you later, alligator!” “After while, crocodile!” – they think it’s absolutely hilarious and now when we are doing role-playing and one of the students says “See you later” the rest of the class chimes in “…alligator!” It’s cute. I’ve been using music in a lot of my classes- none of my “weird” indie music (well, except for my hot student as he appreciates it – which just makes him even hotter in my eyes!) but some really fun songs that I can somehow intertwine into my classes. My high-school girls love hip-hop and want to do a song by Akon or Neo which I’m having some issues with finding an appropriate song by these gentlemen.  Either way, using music has been a big hit and I LOVE having my students sing along. There is one student who sings her heart out every time we do a song and she reminds me of Colleen singing “Let Me Be Your Servant” – if you have ever witnessed this then a smile just crept to your face. So imagine when Berta bursts into “You’re So Vain” or a Norah Jones song- I just imagine Beans at church singing. Loves it.


So Anna and I lost it this past Friday and did it. By “did it” I mean we had a massive shopping spree. It was bound to happen. You have two girls that are obsessed with clothes, that have lived in Dallas (one BEING from there) that live 20 minutes from one of the biggest shopping districts in Europe and well – it was bound to happen. We pretty much would black out each time we went to the register with our plastic cards. Not looking forward to that bill… But OMG, got some SUPER cute clothes. I’m totally trying to embrace the whole European look. It’s so dramatic over here and yet casual. I love it. Obsessed with leggings. And cute boots. And fun accessories. Aaah…


Saturday night was a fun one. I went to my friend Casey’s art exhibit. Alas, no Javier Bardems lurking around but I did witness some great art. It’s so nice to see a friend’s work and be blown away by their talent. It’s a pleasant surprise. I stood by his painting and every time an older man would walk by and would check out the price and the painting, I would casually mention how the piece was “turning me on” in hopes that one of these dudes would just buy it. But then I realized that it would help if I said that in Spanish and how I didn’t know how to say “turning me on” in Spanish and how I REALLY need to improve my Spanish in order to learn these important phrases during these important times…Right? Anyhu, after being all artsy – I met up with Anna and we went to this bar that pays homage to the show LOST – Bharma. It was super campy and fun. We met up with some other friends there and proceeded to bar hop around this great neighborhood in Barcelona – Poble Nou. We met some more presh Spanish boys and possibly picked up a few students for this coming year, haha. Now, as cute as these Spanish boys are – and as charming as they are – and as super sweet as they are…Why do they have to be so darn short?! And then, when I meet a tall one, why does his teeth have to be so jacked?! I know – I’m so shallow. I already had this discussion with our friend Albert earlier this week – and I know – if I gave these boys a chance I could see past teeth and height (I’ve done it before… Jess, Burns & Fannin – you KNOW who I’m talking about re: height) but maybe I am just not in the mood to make compromises? Which leads me to…


www.colorquiz.com


Okay, so some of my students are at the “Personality Adjectives” lesson and I am trying to find a fun personality quiz for them to take to make the lesson more interesting and fun. So as I do my research I come across this link for the Color Quiz. So I decide to take it and wow… My results were hilariously accurate that it scared me. I made Anna take it and same for her – such results that were almost too harsh to hear. Pretty much it says that I’m very sensitive (duh) and that I’m afraid of rejection (double-duh) and that I always long for independence and the freedom to make my own choices and I use my charm to get what I want (mmm… okay, duh). It then went into detail regarding other characteristics of myself (some were too funny to mention here) but that pretty much – I’m never going to meet a guy that will meet my expectations and needs and I’ll constantly make excuses in order to not get too close to someone. Nice! There’s a dose of reassurance for me! Anyhu, if you are bored and have a spare 10 minutes – I suggest that you take it! It will be interesting to see if you received just as fitting results as I did…Or if not. Sometimes, actually MOST of the times, these tests are so vague and you pick up on what you want to hear about yourself but I liked how blunt this one was – it was actually more negative about who I am, a swift kick to keep me in check, perhaps? Maybe a sign that I SHOULD compromise?  Stop being so shallow… No se.


Anyhu, before I go – as I don’t have too many crazy, hilar updates for ya’ll – I do want to end on a positive note in lieu of Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday and I’m so sad that I will be missing mashed potatoes and turkey and green beans and stuffed melitons (South LA dish – one of my faves) and pecan pie…. Aaah – the agony. So Anna and I are going to one of our fave Catalan restaurants here and plan to stuff ourselves with local delicacies and give thanks… So this week all of my lesson plans revolve around Thanksgiving and teaching my students what the importance of this holiday is about: giving thanks for what you have! So, here I go…


(WARNING: skip ahead if you are not in the mood for my mushy-gushy-ness)


I am thankful to have this opportunity to explore an amazing city, become immersed in its culture and surround myself with such lovely, inviting people that teach me something new each and every day.


I am thankful to have a family that supported me 100% (with some natural hesitation from my mom) on my decision to come live here. I am thankful for their constant love and keeping me in check.  I am thankful that they will have the opportunity to come visit me in my new home-town!

I am thankful for my friends. The ones I’ve made here. The ones I have back home. I am so thankful for the ones that have kept in touch with me: making me feel loved and missed back home. I am thankful for their support and their hugs that I will receive upon my return. I am thankful for the friends that continue to challenge me in positive ways – by being role-models in how they live their lives. I really appreciate that. Oh, and I appreciate that I have some of the FUNNIEST people on this earth for friends.  Thank God for surrounding me with people that possess a sense of humor. 


I am thankful for my roomie. For constantly making me laugh. For making me not casually live my life but to embrace it each day and question it and make the most of it. And for her amazing Korean cooking skills. Especially when we come back from the bar wasted and she force feeds me kimchi fried rice.


I am thankful for being an American and everything that revolves around Americana.


I am thankful for my faith and how it has grown so much since I’ve been here. I am thankful for the need to continue to strengthen it and grow within it.


I am thankful for having a job that I whole-heartedly enjoy. I am thankful that I have 2 bosses that are so wonderful, fun and supportive. I am thankful that I have students that I am learning just as much from (if not more) as they are from me.


I am thankful for having a roof over my head, legs that carry me down the cobblestone streets of the city, big eyes to take in the beauty and graffiti and ears that let me listen to the mixture of Spanish, Catalan and music on my beloved iPod.


I am thankful that I have the freedom to write and express my thoughts and views.


I am thankful for my life and all of the wonders and surprises and challenges it brings.


So thanks for letting me get a bit sappy. I’m sure ½ of ya’ll skipped through that part so I’ll end with my one song suggestion and a big wish that all of you have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Eat some Turkey for me. I’ll drink some Sangria for you!


On the Search for a Matador that will meet all of my expectations...
Linds



Song Suggestion:
“The Long Way Around” – Dixie Chicks
(my anthem since I’ve been living in Barcelona)



Movie Suggestions:
Sunshine Cleaning – If you ever need something to make you appreciate what you have…Watch this movie. So lovely in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment